Sunday, June 5, 2011

Meadows 1st Ward Campout

This weekend we went on our first camping trip since arriving here in Mountain country. It was the ward camp out. The original plan had been to go to Camp Lomia but with all the flooding the river was too dangerous and the ward felt it would be best to change the location to Green Canyon. Since I'm not a big fan of my children being washed away down stream that was fine with me. We were amazed to find that we could be in the wilderness, camping, not 15 minutes from home! Not only that, this campsite is free!?! It is on a first come, first serve basis, but still... free! We are used to driving an hour back in Wisconsin, to a camp ground that was reserved back in January. Not to mention all the fees. Needless to say, this was great!

We were there probably over an hour before I looked up. Yes, up. In Wisconsin you don't really look up, because there isn't anything to see besides sky. We were in the middle of a canyon with rocky cliffs on either side. It was quite the sight! The boys enjoyed hiking the rocks just above our campsite. (with Dad's help of course).

Our campsite had a trail going through it. Saturday turned out to be national trail day and we saw plenty of runners, bikers and even horses come through our site. In the morning I decided to run up the trail a bit and back. (My first mountain run!) It was great! The trail narrowed, twisted and turned. It went through meadows and forests. Later we took the boys down the trail. I'd like to say they liked it, but they didn't. Danny and Jared BOTH tripped on rocks and fell. They both came home with lovely purple bruises.

Ryan and I love to be outside and can't wait to plan another camping trip. However, next time I'm wearing wool socks. Brrrrr! Everyone seemed to sleep fine except for me. My toes froze! The sun came out in the morning and it was a great day. We even hiked up to a cave just above our campsite.

The boys loved to see the cave. It was just one big cavern. Pretty amazing though. I'm just impressed we made it up there with three boys... and no one slid down the side of the mountain!


Nothing like sun and fresh air to really wear a kid out!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I love the last picture! Sounds like a lot of fun. People tell us there is camping here in the bay area and we found a park with trails not to far away, but we miss some of the beautiful scenic views and outdoor stuff available in Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fun campout. It was good to get to know people in the ward better. I think the kids had a great time (p.s. just so you are not freaked out, I looked up your other blog and found this one. ;) Anyway, we all had fun!

    Cynthia Miller

    ReplyDelete